Be a Man of Value
One of my favorite quotes is:
Therefore I started to compile a personal list of life values I want to abide by. Below is my unfinished list thus far:
- Have Integrity – when you say you are going to do something, do it. Do not under deliver or make up excuses
- Always be on Time – Always, no matter what. This falls under integrity, but is so important it needs to be listed on it’s own
- Treat every single person you meet as a best friend, and they will become one
- Think in terms of the other person’s perspective as much as your own
- Respect all elders and be a role model to those younger than you
- If a friend has a quirky trait about them that really annoys you, help them improve upon it
- Knowledge is happiness, happiness is knowledge
- Don’t lead people on
- Every person has value and is your superior at something
- Wherever you are and whoever you are with, enjoy their company and have them enjoy yours
- Leaders eat last. Leaders take care of their tribe.
- Do not gossip or talk about someone behind his or her back. It will always come back to that person, and people will worry you say negative things about them to others
- Be prepared and stick to your morals no matter the situation, especially the ones that test them
- Do not belittle people. Do not be knowingly ignorant.
- Treat life as a beautiful experiment; be curious; Create value
- Listen. Listen. Listen.
- Treat guests like family
- Family, above all, is most important – cherish them
- Chase your dreams, not money.
- Don’t leave people hanging. If they text, email, or call you, respond in a timely manner
- Remember your best friend’s and family’s birthdays, and personally call them
- Never show up to a party or gathering empty handed. Always add to the party, don’t just consume.
- Think before you speak. Then think some more.
- Live for the big moments, enjoy all of the small ones
- Your feelings and thoughts become reality. Pay attention to your feelings and what you think about
- Show appreciation when appreciation is due. Pay attention to the things people do that affect you
- Be consistent. Don’t fall off the wagon easily or jump from one thing to another.
- When you do something, do it very well. Or don’t do it at all.
- Always pay back money you borrow and return things you borrow on time
- Show up. Show up to wherever you said you were going to. Show up to the things you may not have necessarily promised to attend, but know you should be there. 90% of living life is just showing up.
What would you have on your list? Comment below and let me know!